-  [WT]  [PS]  [Home] [Manage]

Posting mode: Reply
  1.   (reply to 22414)
  2. (for post and file deletion)
/halp/ - Technical Support

/pr/ is back! All programming needs go there.

  • Supported file types are: GIF, JPG, PDF, PNG, TXT, WEBM
  • Maximum file size allowed is 10000 KB.
  • Images greater than 200x200 pixels will be thumbnailed.
  • Currently 334 unique user posts. View catalog

  • Blotter updated: 2011-01-12 Show/Hide Show All

There's a new /777/ up, it's /gardening/ Check it out. Suggest new /777/s here.

Movies & TV 24/7 via Channel7: Web Player, .m3u file. Music via Radio7: Web Player, .m3u file.

WebM is now available sitewide! Please check this thread for more info.

replacing speaker with 1/4" jack chrissychris 16/12/20(Tue)01:04 No. 22414 ID: cc91cb

File 148219224012.jpg - (110.29KB , 1000x1000 , 148217815616.jpg )

Alrighty, I am looking for some help.

For the sake of experimentation and fun, I'd like to replace the speaker of a shitty kids toy (very similar to the one in the pic) with a 1/4" audio jack so it can play through a larger amp, possibly even through guitar effect pedals.

I've already tried this twice. Taken apart the toy, soldered in a 1/4" jack, and plugged it in. Both times I ended up with a reallyyyy spotty and quiet sound. At first I thought it may be a bad soldering job, but now I feel like it could be due to the low power of the toy, it takes 3 AA batteries.

So what's the deal here? Any ideas what could be wrong?

chrissychris 16/12/20(Tue)01:06 No. 22415 ID: cc91cb

Oh, and I can provide any specifics I've left out. I wasn't sure what people might need to know.

Anonymous 16/12/20(Tue)02:07 No. 22416 ID: 75c683

It probably needs stronger amperage.

chrissychris 16/12/21(Wed)08:29 No. 22418 ID: 3fc49a

And I can achieve this how??

chrissychris 16/12/21(Wed)08:32 No. 22419 ID: 3fc49a

Lol stupid question. I got this. Thanks!

Anonymous 16/12/21(Wed)23:42 No. 22420 ID: 5a53ee

I figured it probably had a voltage difference, not really amperage. Measure it with a multimeter, if it's less than .3V or more than 2V then you need to adjust the voltage to match the line level input you're using.

You can see a simple circuit for connecting a speaker level output, used by PAs and other amps, to line level input here:

But ultimately since you're talking about a nonstandard speaker output you need to measure the output to figure out what its putting out so you can adapt it to the line input standard.

Anonymous 17/01/04(Wed)03:14 No. 22428 ID: 1187da

Can you make the device to produce a constant tone so you can take multimeter readings?

If so, then please provide the voltage across the internal speaker and its current on maximum volume. Use true RMS setting for these measurements. You may substitute the current reading if the speaker has its ohms marked, then you may report that instead.

Also, are you planning to interface this with a guitar preamp? In that case the output impedance should be matched to that of a pick-up, rather than line level.

[Return] [Entire Thread] [Last 50 posts]

Delete post []
Report post